Disclaimer : The Email Originates from their Server .they are a Company they serve us sells us products and when it comes to taking Responsibility they end up using a Disclaimer , huh..
“The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this
message are intended for exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender at LIC OF INDIA or firstname.lastname@example.org immediately and
destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. The views expressed in
this E-mail message / Attachments, are those of the individual sender.”
Every communication is not a individual’s expression some Emails can also attach “The views expressed in
this E-mail message / Attachments, are those of the Company” ;)
I love that word unlimited I mean seriously I love it, I was always in love with unlimited ever since I get to know speed limit on bandwidth or download, And then again I fell for “Unlimited” when I moved out of my home and importantly when i was engaged I needed that Unlimited calling stuff so badly.
I did find it many a times and still I am using a Unlimited Internet ( slow though! ) and Unlimited Phone Calls ( to same network as that of my Mobile service provider)
But I loose faith in my love whenever I see advertisers changes the meaning of Unlimited to whatever they wish.
In contrast to how we live in real world games tries to provide us simulation and entertainment.
So let me describe the situation & Problem : A person moving forwards facing left hand side with his face tilted 45 degree to the ground and his pupil’s looking down as much as he can and and his right hand pointing and firing weapon 180 degree of his face. Now that is quite possible thought god knows who will do it.
Today’s Games are no where near to this Natural Movement.
A . We can move our in front go to back strafe sideways move up ( in case of staircase etc.) move down. Multiple gestures, positions,situations cane be derived out of them like falling is continuous moving down without support.
B. Whatever you move is You can always move your head in a random way.
C. Moreover whenever you move + Move your Head, Your eyes can look in altogether different directions
D. now with all the things happening you moving a in random direction facing in some direction and still looking in part of the scene where you face is.
E Your hands are the ones that do much of the stuff in games like shooting guns.
- we Have a head mount Display which covers the area more than that our eyes can see that means if I am looking into my HMD I must see a area which can have as much view as much as my eyes can see without moving my head ; clearly this is the real life ;
Do a exercise to understand this. Make your head still, look in one direction now move your eyes with your head still in same position. what do you see different view.
lets understand this with another example lets say you focus on this WORD now the title of the post is a bit away from your eye’s focus so you can’t read it but can read THIS
currently. So a HMD with space so that we may move eyes to focus on different parts of the Image .
Normally when we we see we focus on a specific object but things around that become somewhat unclear , also when we are looking in front without moving our head or eyes we somewhat get some impression of a person when he come stands by our side so that’s when achieved will give us most realistic Computer image. i.e. Our Eyes covers more that what it can see so our screen should be big enough may be a bit curved.
- Computer video/Graphics are either captured from a video camera/ generated using a view port in calculation now that’s where the real problem starts You can focus on any part of the image rendered for you , but you cannot refocus wherever you want but as far as Games are concerned we can change view port and position of eyes to refocus image wherever we want,, Now that part where the Game Software would need the position of Pupil to exactly know where the person wearing HMD is looking in the rendered scene.Capturing the angle / Position of Pupil’s we can provide image rendered in computer, exactly where we are looking or focusing.
- HMD with 6DOF which can tell precise Orientation of Head. and HMD will have two scene displaying left and right so it can be inherently 3D stereoscopic.
- Sony Move Controller/Wii Motion Plus / Darwin Controller/ kind of stuff in hands which can provide precise position and orientation of Hands.
Lets keep implementation of Movements of a person out out of current post and see what did we achieved.
- When we are standing with a weapon ready for hip fire , we don’t see the actual weapon since we are facing in front + our pupil is facing a bit above, suddenly we see an enemy we do hip firing but since we are using precision controller the aiming in as perfect as we have practiced.
- Now in the same scene we do aim down the sight ( i.e . holding the gun in the line of sight of firing using the gun’s iron sight) we now see the gun since it comes into view port of scene rendering .
- consider above scene again but even though we are aiming down the sight we moved our head little to left and aim down the sight is not perfect.
but in today’s’ game when we move the head i.e intend to move the head we move as well i.e our body moves as we move the face. which is not that can be realistic ever.
- Motion sensor based 6DOF, 3D capable HMD( more than HD resolution)
- Pupil sensor.
- 6DOF motion controller.
Powered by ScribeFire.
PS3 slim is now available in india at Sony Center I picked it from vashi,Mumbai on 27th nov 2k9 :) . Not able to get at croma or other retails still. So if are as desparate as me u know where to head to in your city.
Just completed a new Condor setup, a pool of 80 Processors and 40+ machines till now .
here are 1,2,3,4 for the same
1. Download Condor
2. Install condor on a machine tell it that it is a master so start a new pool , in case you already have a pool this post is not for you :)
3. Install condor on all machines that u have.
4 . Start submitting jobs
Setting up a condor pool for job scheduling and getting to use Idle time of hundreds of machines is not difficult I think every organization with computers should be having it as a resource. And you can enjoy the real magic of Condor even without going deeper into it just literate your users on how to submit jobs. that’s it , Well I don’t recommend using condor if u don’t have a reason for using it, check with your system administrator too.
So what can u run on those Idle CPUS, well there are lot of things we will talk on these real soon.
I have done a lot of amusing things in my life & asked a lot of Questions to my parents , teachers mailing lists :) ,and to Myself but this one at Microsoft site is what I think I was looking for to prompt me to share that link and restart writing at my blog, hope I am regular with some good posts.
From condor project
The goal of the Condor® Project is to develop, implement, deploy, and evaluate mechanisms and policies that support High Throughput Computing (HTC) on large collections of distributively owned computing resources.
Guided by both the technological and sociological challenges of such a
computing environment, the Condor Team has been building software tools that enable scientists and engineers to increase their computing throughput.
Condor package for Oscar is currently built around latest stable version 6.8.5. Condor installation is a straightforward way one can use .tar.gz or rpm and new install method is a perl script which has to be provided with many arguments and which configure Condor and make changes to condor_config file they way you want to see condor functioning.
1. I have tested Condor 6.8.5 with FC-5 and FC-6 so need to extract the correct rpm and pack it with package.
There are directly two ways of getting it configured .
Common : Head node as submit and manager & all client nodes in execute mode.
A. Head node in also in execute mode.
B. Head node able to send jobs to other manager. (Not more than one manager for now).
C. Head node able to receive jobs from other managers.
All the three ways above can be easily mixed, but common will always be there by default.
2. I am already done with basic scripts.
what remains for condor package to be released is
a. Convertion to new format (yet to understand how to do that)
b. Uninstaller(which should work in oscar_wizard manage mode, i.e for existing clusters)
c. Testing with other distros
d. test cases (currently performing)
By 18/July Condor package should be available for install with Oscar with all the above configuration modes. There are many more advance configuration of Condor on a cluster I am checking on it and if possible add it to this release but unless very important I won’t like to get them included.
A final release ( that might be first public release) will have to wait some more time which will include more distributions supported by Oscar than just Fedora code 5 & 6, and more testing done on the package.
There will be a issue if we not try to use VDT and configure WS-GRAM for condor scheduling since VDT itself installs Condor as a part luckily there is how to on how to avoid that.
So I am pretty much close with this. I shall make a post when this is over I shall again take over vdt-globus package there is some more learning I did with vdt so will jump directly to configuration since setuping up is almost complete with one issue left which can change the way VDT will install, more on that later.
Powered by ScribeFire.
I have my Internship with Novell going on and will finish on 15th June so like always there is a semester end rush, something that I am *not* looking forward to encounter in GSoC project though, I have a final presentation and Report before 15th, I will be 100% on the GSoC work after that.
Updates so far..
I have analyzed some aspects for creating globus package for OSCAR, there are still some parts that need to be done so as to get it is done.
I was not frequently blogging but after 15th I shall be more active on providing updates frequently and documenting stuff in OSCAR Wiki.
My GSoC project involve two packages
1. Globus package.
2. Condor package.
( actually third one “gx-map” , but there is already some support for this in VDT more on it in other post)
I would talk about Globus package in this post.
Globus package must have following(I will provided full details soon.)
4. Support for all distro supported by OSCAR.
There were basically two ways I was exploring (not explored other available )
1. Using a VDT backed installation. (vdt requires internet connectivity while installation,until there is something like this available)
2. Using created/available globus rpm’s
We are using VDT which uses pacman for installations and configuration of all its components. We have to be flexible here to make it available all of the following features.
1. VDT’s current cache at (for 1.6.1) http://vdt.cs.wisc.edu/vdt_161_cache , requires internet connectivity.
2. Use locally downloaded vdt snapshot for particular distro.
Q. How to provide local cache for a distro so that machines without net connectivity can deploy globus to their cluster?
Ans.This is actually not very important since anyone planning to install globus will surely have net connectivity, unless their is some reason like research projects. So I will try to do this some time later after globus package is available for deployment. So far my idea is to have a local mirror of VDT current version(1.6.1 costs around 2.8 GB) than figure out some script that can make a distro based tar file for download, I am sure it will be far less than the mirror itself :) So that OSCAR users can refer to the local package source rather than remote. more details on how do i plan it here.
I am currently using full mirror so with proper -pretend-platform flag it is working for me during testing on Fedora Core 5 therefore I am not stressing much on creating platform specific pacman VDT cache at this stage.
1. Installation sources : Because of above mentioned reasons I have to ask user about installation sources for VDT whether they have downloaded it (so that I can ask them about where they did it) or go to use online VDT.
2. Answering VDT questions : VDT asks several Questions and obviously they can’t be answered at regular prompt so we will try to preanswer them according to package that has been chosen I will create set of common questions and package specific question so that user need to answer those which are relevant to their installation after dry running vdt based specific installation commands, this is in order to not to confuse user with so many question which might not be relevant to his/her setup.
3. Selecting what to Install : There are many packages which can provide different functionality accordingly like VDT-Gatekeeper, Globus-Server, Globus-WS-Server there are some overlaps, I am testing vdt command same like in “2″ point above to make sure what I am installing.
4. Uninstaller : ./oscarwizard provide facility to removal of packages pacman files can be removed easily but to remove vdt packages installed there might be some additional steps not rpm base dso there is a need to create a uninstaller which will use pacman -remove before removing pacman installation from the Oscar.
5. Configuration of vdt installation : <* now here come real hard part* > configuration is somewhat tedious specially because we need to know what packages are selected for install and which configuration apply.
configurator.html will be ready by this weekend for sure, :( , I have already delayed this much. but this will have all questions to be asked/ installation sources/ and what specifically to install.
vdt-install.sh will be invoked with proper options set so as to go ahead with installation. I hope to invoke it with different parameters.
here only after calling install script I wil run additional set of commands to do proper configuration.
/**/ I know how to go about uninstallaling vdt package but I just need to make sure that
“pacman -remove” is called before pacman rpm uninstall, I couldn’t find any post_server_*uninstall script in trunk so have to test this.
hmm that was not so difficult Only stressing is configuration ( that involve lot of ways that grid can be configured so making me think more and more on how users may actually want to configure their resources)
This should complete Globus’s OSCAR package which does not involve any touching of clients since that’s all we will need, (not true with Condor package )
In addition to 5 points there is actually one more.
6. Additional interfaces :to globus for SGE/Condor/PBS more on this when I will complete the above mentioned task.
and one more
7. Support for multiple distribution.( I am currently downloading CentOS 5, Fedora 7 ) to help in this.
Powered by ScribeFire.
Mirroring a pacman based cache is important in case yoo are intrested in experiemnting the package install for and you know that it might take you many many tries (may be for a experienmtatiaion or providing local cache)
only difference is mirrors can be updated not snapshots.
pacman will download and create mirror/snaps which can be readily used as local cache for fast access.
I recently did “pacman -mirror http://vdt.cs.wisc.edu/vdt_161_cache -o vdt-1.6″ and got a whooping 2.8 GB(@128kbps) mirror of VDT 1.6.1 which can be used to test with multiple distribution, as supported by VDT.
There is a catch for junta at low speed connections ,do following
[root@oscarhead vdt]# pacman -def
default: -v http tar
default: -setups csh sh
default: -retry 10 pause-30-seconds
default: -ask shell
No http proxy in use…
So when u are at slow speed 30 sec timeout might not be so good(in my case remote server reboots at some particular time once is a day) so there is a workaround available
pacman -retry 100 pause-10-minutes
or something which can do it reliably since mirroring is a transactional, i.e. either it is done or everything is reversed as before this command so that means if you did 99% of the download at it breaks all data is removed,that happened to me a lot of time until I found actual problem :( (see this at line 44-46)
Now I had VDT mirror available with me I will require a repackaging of it in such a way that it could create platform specific separate subset of mirror. Which in turn should be accessible in same was as that of original but limited to that particular distro;
Advantage of doing this is simple, providing users with only what they are intrested into and not with 2.8G kind of thing and additionally it might be useful for people who are installaing multiple times for some reason or they don’t have net connectivity at the machine they are trying to run pacman commands, and most important for me OSCAR users should have everything available readily without dependency on anything else except what they have downloaded for their supported distro.
( Important thing to note here is VDT install globus/condor and it is highly unlikely that machines that people are installing don’t have net connectivity but still this is good for testing ,like for me)
Thanks to Alain,Saul Youssef from vdt-discuss mailing list, for providing details on mirroring reliably at low speed, but still no recovery from local link failure/power failure :)
Powered by ScribeFire.